3.26.2010

spring hydrangea flower tutorial

supplies-
*felt ( wool or eco your choice)
*some sort of marking device ( i used a water soluble pen)
*embroidery thread
*metal clip if using for a hair accessory

here is one on a headband i made awhile back

print template out onto cardstock.cut your flowers out of felt. you can do all of the same colors, a few different colors, or a whole bunch of colors. i chose peach and teal. cut your leaves and the circle out of felt.

start by hand sewing a flower on the edge of the circle. you can add a bead here if you want. i usually sew up two or three times to make sure the flowers will stay put. keep sewing your flowers. i bunch the flowers up and keep squeezing them in. i like a full look though. i just keep overlapping the edges and tucking others in until i like what i see. keep going until your whole circle is filled in with your flowers. fluff up the ends, tucking in some and overlapping others. now would be a good time to get the edges wet where the marker still shows up.( i obviously didn't do that before i took the pictures) you can either hand sew or hot glue your leaves on. attach a metal clip and add it to a headband if you like. this particular bunch will be used for something else. come back next week to see what!

linking...

somewhat simple, craftaholics anonymous, tatertots and jello, blue cricket design ,my frugal family

20 comments:

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Cute-patoot girly! Speaking of tutorials, we need the hedgehog. I've gotten a lot of request for it now.

Unknown said...

Um yes I love this, yes I do. I think that Lauren will need one to go with her easter dress

Anne said...

Love it!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-felt-hydrangea-bloom/2010/03/27/

--Anne

cmamga said...

I can't get the link for the template to work. Any suggestions?

the mama monster said...

catherine-
i think that fixed it. let me know if you can't get it to work alright?

Anna said...

that is so cute, hydrangeas are my favorite!

CyndeJo said...

These are so beautiful, I love them.

EvaForeva said...

Super adorable! They would make great hair pins too!

sandandstarfish said...

This is adorable! I think I need to make about a dozen or so of these :)

annie lane @ sisters with flair said...

I am so excited to try this. I am obsessed with flowers and this is so unique! Great blog!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

Absolutely DARLING! And so different from anything I've seen in a while!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute. I love that! Thanks so much for linking it up to my party!

XOXO
Jen

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you! We've just had our first grand baby and my daughter showed me these Hooter Hiders at an upscale shop. I told her I thought I could make her one. I went online and found your blog and you've given me the step by step instructions! I've made her two and they work perfectly! Thank you so much. If you get a change to, come by my blog and see them.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

I've seen these featured all over, and I've got the project flagged but realized I hadn't commented yet. These are SO cute, and I can't wait to make some! Thanks for the tute!

Sophie said...

This is amazing! So flippin' cute! Thanks for sharing.

www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

I just wanted to let you know I "featured" this in my blog post today. Thanks again for the great tute!

http://whimsikel.blogspot.com/2010/05/still-preoccupied-with-fabric-flowers.html

angel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Alright, I featured ANOTHER one of your flowers today! Love these so much!

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/07/wednesdays-wowzers-3-dozen-plus-four.html

~Alison

Crystelle Boutique said...

very cute!

Hani Syahida ✿ said...

I've tried your tutorial and link it to my blog too.. Thanks :)

http://hanisyahida.blogspot.com/2011/05/felt-hydrangea.html